Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
There are some trends that I’m a little late to the game for. Not too many years ago, peanut butter was the ‘IT’ food. It was practically at Nutella level love for people. At that point, I was in college and didn’t really feel that way. It was on sandwiches, big deal. It was that same time period when I started trying different ethnic dishes and I found my love for peanut butter.
My boyfriend at the time, was from Chicago. He grew up being surrounded by different cultures, he traveled with his family to all over the United States and Mexico, and was brought up very differently to me. I was very much the country mouse in comparison to this city mouse.
The first meal my boyfriend ever made me was this delicious Thai inspired dish – chicken and potato in a spicy coconut milk and peanut butter sauce served over rice. I was really nervous about how peanut butter and chicken were going to be together, but after the first bite, I was in Heaven. I had never tried anything like it before! It was the meal that opened the door for me to try dishes from all over the world.
Of course, savory wasn’t the only place I loved peanut butter from then on. When I was young, I never really cared about sweets. It wasn’t until just a couple years ago, when I was in my late 20’s, that I grew to love sugary confections. My mom is the one that got me hooked on peanut butter and chocolate together. Omg, chocolate cake with peanut butter is to die for! I have to spread the love for this flavor duo, with my recipe for Chocolate Cupcakes and Peanut Butter Frosting. It’s simple, basic, easy to make, and absolutely delicious! Whip up a batch of these drool-worthy cupcakes!
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks butter, cut into pieces
- 1 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 and ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 and ½ tsp. vanilla
- 2 and ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Line two cupcake pans with liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and hot water until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix together the butter and sugar.
- Stir until everything is melted and smooth.
- Transfer the melted butter and sugar mix to a large mixing bowl and beat until it's cool, - 4-5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each egg.
- Add vanilla and the cocoa mixture, blend until smooth.
- Add the dry mix in three additions, alternating with the sour cream.
- Mix until smooth.
- Scoop into the prepared pans, filling each cup 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes (depending on your oven) or until a toothpick comes out clean, .
- Let them cool completely before frosting.
- Place peanut butter, butter, and salt in a large bowl.
- Beat on medium speed until thoroughly combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat on medium speed until combined.
- Turn the speed up to high and beat for 3-4 more minutes, until frosting is light and airy.
- Frost your cupcakes!